How to decide if a potential job opportunity will be a good fit for you?
Some practical tips:
- Identify your values and strengths. It doesn’t matter if you are not 100% sure about them. Get started, that’s the main thing. Both your values and your strengths will evolve over time.
- Read the JD and the company culture from their website. You’ll be surprised how few candidates actually do this.
- Check out reviews about the company on Glassdoor. Find out mutual contacts who are working in the company, and check with them about the culture and pay.
- Listen to interviews given by the top officials of the company – CMO, VP, CEO etc. to understand about the challenges and the opportunities for the company.
- If possible, talk to employees who left the company to get a different POV.
At the end of this exercise, remember to exercise your own judgment. You don’t need to listen to every piece of advice out there (including this).